Friday, August 8, 2008


Do you remember this sketching and this diaper bag project? Well, I was intending to finish it before my little one came (naturally!), and actually spent most of the day before she was born sewing on it. But since Jesus brought her to us a week before her due date, and I wasn't expecting her then (I was trying awfully hard to think late instead of early ... I was told first babies often are that way), I never finished it and have only just now felt like I had enough margin time to spend a couple of hours finishing projects that I had going last winter. So yesterday I finished the last little bits of this bag. I have been using various totes and large purses as a diaper bag, but I think this is going to be much more convenient. It turned out just like it was designed: huge, floppity, and, um ... huge & floppy. I am not sure I love all aspects of it. But it was a first try, right? I know a few things I will do differently next time if I ever have another let's-make-a-diaper-bag urge. But for now it will be very helpful. There's enough room for more than one diaper (hurrah!) as well as the necessary changes of clothes and spit-up cloths, plus a picture book, a book I'm reading, my latest knitting project, a load of laundry to fold ... ok, so maybe not the laundry. It even has a handy purse-like zippered pocket on the front. All in all, I am glad for it. :)

3 comments:

Paula said...

Dear Katya,
You did a wonderful job from the sketching and the labeling of pieces all the way to the finished bag! I love it! I am so glad you can fit Greta's things and a book and knitting project for you in it. It turned out so well. I enjoyed reading your post!

Blessings,
Paula

Melissa said...

It might be huge and floppity, but it's also denimy, buttony, and adorable! I'm so glad you had time to finish it, Kat. It's one of kind--just like you and just like Greta. I enjoyed looking back (a whole year?!) to your sketches. Love always,
Mama/Mimi

Elisabeth said...

Well, I love huge and floppity bags and I think this is THE cutest diaper bag I've seen in a long time. If I was a mama (or expectant mama), I'd DEFINITELY be asking for the patterm. It's adorable - I love the "bunchy" look and the buttons and pins!