Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Applesauce

'"Say, Betsy, I think that applesauce is ready to be sweetened. You do it, will you? I've got my hands in the biscuit dough. The sugar's in the lefthand drawer in the kitchen cabinet."

"Oh, my!" cried Betsy, dismayed. "I don't know how to cook!"

Aunt Abigail laughed and put back a strand of curly white hair with the back of her floury hand. "You know how to stir sugar into your cup of cocoa, don't you?"

"But how much shall I put in?" asked Elizabeth Ann, clamoring for exact instruction so she wouldn't need to do any thinking for herself.

"'Til it tastes right,' said Aunt Abigail, carelessly. "Fix it to suit yourself, and I guess the rest of us will like it. Take that big spoon to stir it with."

Elizabeth Ann took off the lid and began stirring in sugar, a teaspoonful at at time, but she soon saw that that made no impression. She poured in a cupful, stirred it vigorously, and tasted it. Better, but not quite enough. She put in a tablespoonful more and tasted it, staring off into space as she concentrated her attention on the taste. It was quite a responsibility to prepare the applesauce for a family. It was ever so good, too. But maybe a little more sugar. She put in a teaspoonful and decided it was just exactly right!

"Done?" asked Aunt Abigail. "Take it off, then, and pour it out into that big yellow bowl, and put it on the table in front of your place. You've made it; you ought to serve it."

"It isn't done, is it?" asked Betsy. "That isn't all you do to make applesauce!"

"What else could you do?" asked Aunt Abigail.

"Well...!" said Elizabeth Ann, very much surprised. "I didn't know it was so easy to cook!"

"Easiest thing in the world," said Aunt Abigail gravely, with the merry wrinkles around her merry old eyes all creased up with silent fun."'

~from Understood Betsy, by Dorothy Canfield Fisher~

~::~::~::~


















Wash ~ Quarter ~ Seed ~ Cook down with a bit of water ~ Push through food mill ~ Sugar & Cinnamon to taste ~ Enjoy!

7 comments:

Michal said...

Oh! I was thinking of making applesauce as soon as I get enough apples! How fun :-) It looks delicious...

Anonymous said...

Isn't homemade applesauce the best?! We just finished canning our first bushel of apples (of the season) into sauce and I hope to do at least 2 more in the coming weeks. I'm also hoping to make some apple butter and maybe some apple jelly. Yum!

Grace & Peace,
Leah ~ www.reformedfarmerswife.christianagrarian.com

Simply Shelley said...

Hi Katya,I love applesauce,but have never made my own. Thanks for sharing. I loved your apple picking post. Your little one is very sweet.

Blessings,Shelley

Charity Dawn said...

Mmm! We just made a whole bunch of applesauce here. I seriously never knew it could be so easy until the family showed me! We always made it so much more complicated than it really is. Enjoy your yummy applesauce!

Leah said...

Oh yummy! I remember when we made applesauce! I loved it. :)

Karrie Diggs said...

It looks delicious Katie ~ Maybe we will have to drive over and have some with you. ;-)
You have inspired me...we are going "orcharding" this weekend. Thanks for your lovely posts Katie. They go very nicely with my first cup of coffee.
Much love

Paula said...

Dear Katya,

Your applesauce looks so good! I enjoyed the excerpt you shared from the book and the delightful photos you always take!

Love, Paula