Monday, October 20, 2008

Treasures

Favorite Picture Books
from this week's library stack
by Harriet Ziefert
illustrated by Anita Lobel
I've been wanting to check this one out for a while. I remember it being in the stacks of books that Mama would check out from the library for us. It's a beautiful picture of one mommie's resourcefulness in taking care of her little girlie, all the while providing wonderful experiences as Anna watches her coat being made--from a sheep's fleece to the tailor's shop. I love studying the pictures in children's books like this. The illustrator tells so much of the story.
by Rebecca Bond
This is a story about a little boy who lives with his artistic multi-generational family in an apartment in the big city. As he watches his family in their different lines of work that they love, he discovers his very own talents.
Again, I get lost in the colorful illustrations. There is so much inspiration to be had in children's picture books for creating a warm, happy, learning-filled, safe home for a child.
.
.
.
Linnea's Almanac
by Christina Bjork
illustrated by Lena Anderson
Linnea has been my friend ever since I was little and Mama and Daddy bought me my very own copy of Linnea's Windowsill Garden (which was very inspiring to me). In this Linnea book, she takes you through the months of the year and gives wonderful ideas for nature projects that are easy to do (even in the city!) I like to look at this book to get my imagination going about nature projects a person can do in the house in the winter (and that Greta and I will do together in the future!), and it makes me want to take good care of the plants under my kitchen window. Hhhmm... I might even need to plant some cress this winter in the shallow pottery dish that I use as a bird bath in summer. :) Mostly I like it because of good memories of pouring over my copy of Linnea's Windowsill Garden. I learned a lot of helpful things from that book.

Snow Company
by Marc Harshman
illustrated by Leslie W. Bowman
This is definitely cozy picture book material here. A snowstorm is coming to town. Mom is making chili and the boys are doing their chores and drinking cocoa. The snow gets bad, and stranded travelers stay for supper and swap winter stories.
I was wishing for this one the other morning, sitting next to the warm wood stove with Greta and wanting to read her a story. So I went online and ordered it through inter-library loan. :)

5 comments:

Melissa said...

It is such fun for me to read your reviews of dear old book friends. This was delightful!

Anonymous said...

Great recommendations...thanks so much!

Leah said...

Oh what exciting books! I shall have to look at them.

Paula said...

Dear Katya,

I will have to look for these sweet books. I have read Linnea's Almanac and loved it!!!!

Blessings, Paula

Andrea -- Just One More Book!! Podcast said...

Katya,
A New Coat for Anna is just lovely! I will have to keep my eyes open for your other suggestions. Thanks!