Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Candlewicking

My great-grandmother in her later years took up the lovely art of candlewicking.  I don't know if she had done it before or not.  She left several lovely pieces, one of them this pillow cover.  I spent happy minutes this morning ironing the freshly washed cover and sewing it over a pillow to enjoy on my bed.  Greta has a quilt on her bed whose squares were also made by her--a thing of beauty.  I am so glad to be able to have these pieces of my great-grandmother's work in my home.  Her choice to keep her hands busy and to make something beautiful, not knowing how it might bless others, inspires me today to do the same.

(Some of the hand stitches she used to baste the ruffle with)



Greta's quilt:


*****
As an aside...


Rose hips--a lovely alternative to playdough for Greta's morning cooking experiments!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm so happy to see Grandma B.'s work washed, pressed, used, displayed, and LOVED. And the rose hips idea is so deliciously gorgeous, aromatic, and organic! In that chippy green tin cup, they're art!!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Greta's quilt is so beautiful! What a blessing that you have these lovely things that your great grandma's hands made with love. What a gift to cherish!

Olivia said...

What lovely things, Katie!