Tuesday, April 13, 2010

:: new garden bed ::

Caleb and I have been wanting to plant strawberries for a couple of years now. His mama has plants that we can have, but we just needed to find a suitable spot for them. There are only so many spots in our yard that get full sun, and we do have so many things that we want to plant! Saturday morning we decided to use the grass area outside of last year's garden for their plot. We imagined our spot with an extension cord :), and then got some upside-down marking paint for the final design. Caleb made it larger than we needed--for strawberries, perhaps, though not for all our plantationary imaginings, and maybe not even for strawberries if we want to can jam--and designed it to follow the pattern of the first, long and flowing. He's a talented designer.

In the afternoon we edged and cut out sod, in addition to the dirt and wood chip hauling that Caleb and Greta did in the bucket-loadie. Caleb's family came over to help us with the sod. There was a lot of it there! We did finish it all before night. Sunday afternoon then we had a chance to till and smooth it, working in the extra dirt that Caleb brought in. I love gardening with my man; we have such a good time.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Greta Rosie slept soundly for her Sunday afternoon nap while Caleb and I finished tilling and raking. :).
.
.

.
.
::'~ It rained yesterday and moistened the dirt to a lovely darkness. I was able to plant my little pussy willow--such a bright Springy green.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Isn't it lovely?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Other Monday doings...
~':: Greta and I made newspaper pots to start our seedlings in--a lovely idea from Mia's blog. Mia's blog is a thing of beauty. You must visit.
Greta turned out to be a first-rate planter pot filler. She is so careful. She fills them up nicely to the top, slowly so as not to spill the dirt all over, and pulls the roots and sticks out of the dirt so it's smooth. Then she lifts it into the tray where it's to go. She did over half a dozen of the one flat that I filled yesterday. Today I'll be planting lettuce and echinacea and such.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
::'~ Greta and Caleb planted grass seed in the evening.
(The johnny-jump-ups are blooming!)

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my word, delightful post! LOVE it. Such abundance of happy spring pictures and garden journaling--with just the right amount of sweet Greta Rosie doings. Thank you for sharing it with us. I'm inspired. And I agree--I love that sweet Mia! She is precious, and reminds me so much of you. So much.

Elisabeth said...

What a lovely spot for strawberries! I love how the new bed mimics the first, creating an inviting green pathway. My mother had just such a garden at the house I grew up at, though not with the graceful curves. I remember helping her plant spring onions in it when I was not much bigger that Greta. But strawberries! Mmmmmm. I can taste them now, warm from the sun.

E

Shirley Wall said...

Hi Katya - I have been reading your blog off and on for a year or so. I don't remember how I stumbled across your blog but I am so glad I did! I have never commented on your blog before but decided it was time :) I am an empty-nester and a grandmother of one beautiful granddaughter (1 year old). My husband & I live on a small hobby farm in Washington. It is such a blessing to me to read your blog. Your desire to be a godly wife, Mama, and daughter are so refreshing. Also, your focus and enjoyment of being a keeper of your home is delightful and inspiring. I hope & pray everything goes well with your pregnancy & delivery. If you have ever wondered if anyone is blessed or touched by your blog I am here to assure you that I am! Thanks for your sharing. God Bless, Shirley

Homegrown Family said...

You had a very productive couple of days. I love Mia's blog yours is just as lovely! I am glad to see someone who made those pots I think the kids and I will make some this afternoon. I need to replant some seedlings and your post reminded me of those great pots.

Erika

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

What a sweet helper girl you have! What a nice bed to put your strawberries in! Delightful!

Your man sounds like a keeper - just like mine is! What a blessing to have your husband as your dearest friend!

Lucille said...

How lovely to see your garden developing. Great name johnny-jump-ups. We just call them pansies. Will your pussy willow grow into a large tree? Ours is 20 feet high.

Margo said...

what a satisfying thing to get a new bed cut and made. I love the shapes of the beds next to each other.
Sweet photos of Greta napping. Is there anything sweeter than a little child asleep?

ExploreColorado said...

Love what you've done with the yard!!!! It looks great :D